Tax code (Codice fiscale), health care, insurance
The Italian tax code is an alphanumeric code used to identify individuals when dealing with institutions and public offices. The tax code is issued by the Italian Tax Office (Agenzia delle Entrate). You need the tax code for some financial transactions, to open a bank account and to subscribe to the National Health Service. EU students must request a tax code at the local Tax Office (Agenzia delle Entrate) by presenting an identity card. Students from non-EU countries are required to present a passport with valid visa (depending on the country of origin, the visa may not be necessary) or residence permit.
For more information
Department of International Affairs
tel. 050 / 509 319
E-mail: @ e.terzuoli sns.it
Local Tax Office (Agenzia delle Entrate)
Gallery G-B-Gerace, 7-15 56124 Pisa
tel. 050 / 315 471 Fax 050 / 315 4823
E-mail: @ ul.pisa agenziaentrate.it
Foreign students, graduate students, scholarship holders, and all those affiliated with the Scuola Normale Superiore receive insurance coverage. The insurance applies to injuries that the insured may suffer (or may cause, to either people or things) while participating in institutional activities organized by the Scuola or participating in activities authorized by the Scuola or under the auspices of the Scuola, with a third party or internationally.
By way of example, coverage would include, but is not limited to, the following:
- injuries sustained during attendance, duration of stay and movement from building to building at the University of Pisa,
- participation in initiatives and events, excluding those which are competitive sports;
- Accidents occurring in the same circumstances, even when the above occurs at facilities comparable to, recognized by, and/or affiliated with the Scuola, or through which an institutional activity of the Scuola is carried out.
The report of the accident (addressed to the Scuola) with an indication of the place, date and time of the event and the causes that brought about the incident must be accompanied by a medical certificate. Subsequently the claimant must send to the Scuola medical certificates on the progress of the injuries sustained, over a period not exceeding 60 days, until the claimant has recovered from said injuries.
Students from European institutions insured by Social Security possess the European Health Insurance Card (T.E.A.M.). With this card they are entitled to health care in Italian territory, under the same conditions offered to them by their country of origin. Health care in the territory of the province of Pisa is provided by the Local Public Health Unit (Unità Sanitaria Locale - USL) No. 5 of Pisa.
To activate the health coverage:
- For stays up to three months: go to the Local Public Health Unit (USL) on Via Torino (“Porta a Lucca” area) and present the T.E.A.M. or another document proving health coverage in Italy provided by the country of origin.
- For stays longer than three months:
- request a certificate of registration for temporary residency at the “Ufficio Anagrafe” of the municipality of Pisa. To request a certificate of registration you must present your T.E.A.M. or evidence of medical coverage in Italy and a document proving your means of economic support (for students of the Scuola, the document may be issued by the Students Division);
- present the acquired certificate of registration and your T.E.A.M. at the Local Public Health Unit (USL) on Via Torino (“Porta a Lucca” area).
European students who do not have the European Health Insurance Card (T.E.A.M.) before leaving must obtain, at the relevant office of their country, the replacement certificate for the card, which will give them the right to the same benefits.
European students in possession of valid residence permits and who have chosen residency in Italy may make use of the free services offered by the Italian National Health Service.
Non-EU students who must choose health insurance that is valid for Italy, in addition to the possibility of subscribing to a private insurance policy, may also investigate the following options:
- The Italian National Health Service (Servizio Sanitario Nazionale), which offers the possibility of securing coverage for the duration of a calendar year, the cost of which is particularly suited to students who remain in Italy at least one year. Payment of the registration fee to the S.S.N. should be completed on the C/C number 289504 form, addressed to "Amministrazione P T - Contributo Servizio Sanitario Nazionale", specifying the reason of the payment "iscrizione al Servizio Sanitario Nazionale - Studente straniero"
Additional information may be obtained from the Office of Foreign Assistance and Services Abroad at the nearest Health and Social District Office (Distretto Socio-Sanitario) or from the “Head of the Department of International Affairs” - Mrs. Elisabetta Terzuoli (Palazzo del Castelletto - 1st floor tel. 050 / 509,319);
- an insurance policy “INA Assitalia” for a minimum duration of six months, which only covers the cost of hospitalization. This option is also available for relatively short periods (semesters). It is useful in the case of short-term stay in Italy or to obtain provisional insurance coverage until enrolment in the National Health Service takes effect.
The payment to “INA Assitalia” must be completed at the post office on the C/C number 71270003 form, addressed to "INA Assitalia, Via dei Tritone, 181 - 00187 Roma".
If necessary, students should consult www.usl5.toscana.it (Home >> Informazioni >> Fogli di accoglienza), where they’ll find, for each district of USL 5, detailed schedules and activities for health services (visits, samples, vaccinations, etc.) systematically updated. For further information, students can contact the Office of Foreign Assistance and Services Abroad. USL 5 Pisa - email, email@example.com.
Undergraduate and graduate students will be refunded in both cases, whether enrolling in INA’s insurance coverage or registering for membership in the National Health Service.