• About SNS

    The Scuola Normale Superiore is a public institute for higher education that in its two centuries of life has earned itself a special place, both in Italy and abroad, a place characterised by merit, talent and scientific rigour. Two types of course are available: the undergraduate course and the PhD course.The teaching activity is distributed among four academic structures: the Faculty of Humanities, the Faculty of Sciences, placed in Pisa; the Department of political and social sciences and the Ciampi Institute, located in Florence.  

  • Admission

    The evaluation for entrance to the first year of the undergraduate course does not include the high school leaving certificate, and the bachelor's degree is not taken into consideration in the entrance examination for the fourth year course. For each PhD course, candidates’ level of competence, talent, motivations and aptitudes to scientific research will be assessed on the basis of their qualifications and research project and an interview.

  • Academics

    The Scuola Normale Superiore offers two types of course: the undergraduate course, leading to first and second level university degrees, and the PhD course, the international equivalent of the Italian Dottorato di ricerca.The teaching and research activity is distributed among three academic structures: the Faculty of Humanities, the Faculty of  Sciences, and the Department of Political and Social Sciences.The first two academic structures, housed at the Pisa site, organize courses for both the  undergraduate course and the PhD course. The Department of Political and Social Sciences, situated in Palazzo Strozzi in Florence, deals only with the PhD course.

  • Research

    A highly qualifying feature of the Normale way is the strong link between teaching and research that is a characteristic of both the undergraduate and the graduate programmes of the Scuola. The research structures of the two Faculties welcome students with a relevant study interest, enabling them to collaborate in a mature way with the activities of the researchers.

  • International

    The Scuola Normale is an institute of a decidedly international nature. Examinations for admission to the undergraduate degree course and for the PhD course are open to all citizens worldwide. A certain number of places on the PhD course are reserved for students from other countries. During the pre laurea and  post lauream teaching courses, study and research programmes are made available at overseas universities and research centres with which the Scuola forms an intense network of collaboration.  The doctorate course in particular is taught in a veritable graduate school in line with the highest international standards. 

Practical Information

 (VISA - accomodation  - ecc)

Student Visa - Residence permit


European students belonging to EU Member States (United Kingdom, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Hungary, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France) must have a personal identification document to travel within Italy. Also, if you plan to stay in Italy for a period exceeding 90 days, it is no longer necessary to apply for a permit, but please contact the “Ufficio Anagrafe” in the municipality where you reside and ask for the “iscrizione anagrafica” and for a copy of the certificate.

Non-EU students who intend to enter the territory of the Italian Republic in transit or for an extended stay, with the exception of citizens of countries that have signed special agreements with Italy, must have an entry visa. The entry visa is issued by the Italian diplomatic consular office in the territory of residence of the applicant, and is issued upon verification of the applicant’s fulfillment of the requirements for obtaining a visa.


The visa application must be submitted in person after contacting the Italian diplomatic consular office of the applicant’s home country. The applicant will be interviewed about the reasons and circumstances of the stay. The application must be completed according to the procedure described on the Italian diplomatic consular office’s website.

Generally, the applicant is required to declare:

  • The purpose of the journey; In this regard, the Scuola Normale Superiore will send to the applicant’s home address (or another address specified by the student) a letter which—besides providing all the information required to legitimize the application for the student visa—will provide an official confirmation of the student’s admittance to the Scuola. To facilitate this procedure, please provide, in addition to the address, a fax number, if possible.
  • an official travel itinerary to and from Italy showing proof of purchase;
  • the means of support during the journey and the stay;
    Currently the minimum estimated amount for the student’s financial support is € 350.57 per month for each month of the entire academic year (DI, 20.11.2001, published in “Gazzetta Ufficiale” No. 283 of 5.12.2001);
  • the possession of the necessary health care in Italy;
  • housing provision.

PLEASE NOTE: When requesting a visa, in order to check if additional documentation is required, please consult the web page of the Italian consular authorities responsible for your area. Data may vary depending on the case.

For more information, see the website for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on the procedure of issuing entry visas:

The student visa will be issued once you have proven that:
- You have appropriate accommodation in Italy;
- You have sufficient funds for your financial support;
- You have access to health care in Italy;
- You posses the necessary amount of money needed to return to your country of origin, or you have already purchased a return ticket.


Obtaining permission to remain in Italy for study
Foreigners wishing to stay in Italy for more than three months must apply for permission to stay within 8 days of their arrival in Italian territory (the date of entry is proven by a stamp at the border on the travel document).
To this purpose, those concerned must go to a designated Post Office (with a “Sportello Amico”) and pick up a special kit.
The kit must be completed and sent to Police Headquarters, once the following have been included:
In the case of a first issue of the residence permit:
• 1 stamp (“marca da bollo”) of € 14.62;
• copies of all passport pages;
• copies of all documents submitted to the Italian consular office that issued the Visa;
• a copy of the receipt of payment of the Ministerial fee of € 27.50 (also payable at the Post Office);
• a copy of the payment for inclusion in the Italian National Health Service (€ 155.97, payable at the Post Office), which entitles the payer to the same health coverage as Italian citizens and is reimbursed to each student by the Scuola;
• the documentation on the course of study that the student is following/will follow;
In the case of renewal of the residence permit:
• a copy of the previously issued residence permit;
• copies of all pages of the passport;
• a stamp (“marca da bollo”) of € 14.62;
• a copy of the payment for inclusion in the Italian National Health Service (€ 155.97, payable at the Post Office), which entitles the payer to the same health coverage as Italian citizens and is refunded by the Scuola;
• the documentation on the course of study that the student is following/will follow.
Renewal must be requested at least 60 days before the expiration of the previous residence permit (80 in the case of emergency).

NOTE: the last four requirements may be substituted with a statement from the Scuola certifying the enrollment and attendance of the student and the holding of any potential scholarships.


Foreigners applying for the issue or renewal of a residence permit must be aware that during the time between the application and the issue of their permit they will not be allowed to travel, or even transit, within the Schengen Area.
They can only leave and return to and from any non EU-country showing the proof of the application's processing to the Police authorities.

Tax code (Codice fiscale), health care, insurance

TAX CODE (Codice Fiscale)
The Italian tax code is an alphanumeric code used to identify individuals when dealing with institutions and public offices. The tax code is issued by the Italian Tax Office (Agenzia delle Entrate). You need the tax code for some financial transactions, to open a bank account and to subscribe to the National Health Service. EU students must request a tax code at the local Tax Office (Agenzia delle Entrate) by presenting an identity card. Students from non-EU countries are required to present a passport with valid visa (depending on the country of origin, the visa may not be necessary) or residence permit.

For more information
Department of International Affairs
Elisabetta Terzuoli
tel. 050 / 509 319
E-mail: @ e.terzuoli sns.it
Useful reference
Local Tax Office (Agenzia delle Entrate)
Gallery G-B-Gerace, 7-15 56124 Pisa
tel. 050 / 315 471 Fax 050 / 315 4823
E-mail: @ ul.pisa agenziaentrate.it

Foreign students, graduate students, scholarship holders, and all those affiliated with the Scuola Normale Superiore receive insurance coverage. The insurance applies to injuries that the insured party may suffer (or may cause to either people or things) while participating in institutional activities organized by the Scuola or participating in activities authorized by the Scuola or under the auspices of the Scuola, with a third party or internationally.
By way of example, coverage would include, but is not limited to, the following:

  • injuries sustained during the attendance, duration of stay and movement from building to building at the University of Pisa,
  • participation in initiatives and events, excluding those which are competitive sports;
  • accidents occurring in the same circumstances, even when the above occur at facilities comparable to, recognized by, and/or affiliated with the Scuola, or through which an institutional activity of the Scuola is carried out.

The report of the accident (addressed to the Scuola) with an indication of the place, date and time of the event and the causes that brought about the incident must be accompanied by a medical certificate. Subsequently the claimant must send to the Scuola medical certificates on the progress of the injuries sustained, over a period not exceeding 60 days, until the claimant has recovered from said injuries.

Students from European institutions insured by Social Security possess the European Health Insurance Card (T.E.A.M.). With this card they are entitled to health care in Italian territory, under the same conditions offered to them by their country of origin. Health care in the territory of the province of Pisa is provided by the Local Public Health Unit (Unità Sanitaria Locale - USL) No. 5 of Pisa.
To activate the health coverage:

  • For stays up to three months: go to the Local Public Health Unit (USL) in Via Torino (“Porta a Lucca” area) and present the T.E.A.M. or another document proving health coverage in Italy provided by the country of origin.
  • For stays longer than three months:
    • request a certificate of registration for temporary residency at the “Ufficio Anagrafe” of the municipality of Pisa. To request a certificate of registration you must present your T.E.A.M. or evidence of medical coverage in Italy and a document proving your means of economic support (for students of the Scuola, the document may be issued by the Students Division);
    • present the acquired certificate of registration and your T.E.A.M. at the Local Public Health Unit (USL) in Via Torino (“Porta a Lucca” area).

European students who do not have the European Health Insurance Card (T.E.A.M.) before leaving must obtain, at the relevant office of their country, the replacement certificate for the card, which will give them the right to the same benefits.

European students in possession of valid residence permits and who have chosen residency in Italy may make use of the free services offered by the Italian National Health Service.

Non-EU students who must choose health insurance that is valid for Italy, in addition to the possibility of subscribing to a private insurance policy, may also investigate the following options:

  • The Italian National Health Service (Servizio Sanitario Nazionale), which offers the possibility of securing coverage for the duration of a calendar year, the cost of which is particularly suited to students who remain in Italy at least one year. Payment of the registration fee to the S.S.N. should be completed on the C/C number 289504 form, addressed to "Amministrazione P T - Contributo Servizio Sanitario Nazionale", specifying the reason for the payment: "iscrizione al Servizio Sanitario Nazionale - Studente straniero"
    Additional information may be obtained from the Office of Foreign Assistance and Services Abroad at the nearest Health and Social District Office (Distretto Socio-Sanitario) or from the “Head of the Department of International Affairs” - Mrs. Elisabetta Terzuoli (Palazzo del Castelletto - 1st floor tel. 050 / 509,319);
  • an “INA Assitalia” insurance policy for a minimum duration of six months, which only covers the cost of hospitalization. This option is also available for relatively short periods (semesters). It is useful in the case of short-term stay in Italy or to obtain provisional insurance coverage until enrollment in the National Health Service takes effect.
    The payment to “INA Assitalia” must be completed at the post office on the C/C number 71270003 form, addressed to "INA Assitalia, Via dei Tritone, 181 - 00187 Roma".

If necessary, students should consult www.usl5.toscana.it  (Home >> Informazioni >> Fogli di accoglienza), where they will find, for each district of USL 5, detailed schedules and activities for health services (visits, samples, vaccinations, etc.) systematically updated. For further information, students can contact the Office of Foreign Assistance and Services Abroad. USL 5 Pisa - email, assist-estero@usl5.toscana.it.


Undergraduate and graduate students will be refunded in both cases, whether enrolling in the INA insurance coverage or registering for inclusion in the National Health Service