Lorenzo Mosca is Associate Professor at the Institute of Humanities and Social Sciences of the Scuola Normale Superiore. His research interests are focused on political communication, online politics, political participation, social movements and relations between parties and movements. On these topics he has been involved in several national and European research projects such as “Europub.Com - The Transformation of Political Mobilisation and Communication in European Public Spheres” (FP5), “Demos - Democracy in Europe and the Mobilization of Society” (FP6), “Younex - Youth, unemployment, and exclusion in Europe” (FP7), “Comparing Social Media and Political Participation across EU” (http://webpoleu.altervista.org). He is associate editor of the journals “South European Society and Politics” and “International Journal of E-Politics”, as well as member of the editorial board of the “European Journal of Communication”.
5 Most recent publications (already published, HARVARD Reference Style):
- Mosca, L. and Quaranta, M. (2016). News Diets, Social Media Use and Non-Institutional Participation in Three Communication Ecologies: Comparing Germany, Italy and the UK. Information, Communication & Society, vol. 19, pp. 325-345.
- Mosca, L. and Bosi, L. (2016). Internationalization with limited domestic recognition: Research on social movements in Italy. In G. Accornero and O. Filleule, eds., Social Movement Studies in Europe: The state of the art. Oxford: Berghahn Books, pp. 269-287.
- Mosca, L. (2017). The Italian's Five Star Movement: A ‘Cybercratic’ party?. In R. Cotarelo and J. Gil Garcia, eds., Ciberpolitica. Hacia la cosmopolis de la informacion y de la comunicacion. Madrid: Instituto Nacional de Administración Pública, pp. 237-253.
- Mosca, L. and Quaranta, M. (2017). Comparing News Diets, Electoral Choices and EU Attitudes in Germany, Italy and the UK in the 2014 European Parliament Election. In: M. Caiani and S. Guerra, eds., Euroscepticism, Democracy and the Media. Communicating Europe, Contesting Europe. London: Palgrave, pp. 141-168.
- Della Porta, D., Fernandez, J., Kouki, H. and Mosca, L. (2017). Movement parties against austerity. Cambridge: Polity Press.
Relevant previous projects:
- Europub.Com - The Transformation of Political Mobilisation and Communication in European Public Spheres (FP5) (https://europub.wzb.eu)
- Demos - Democracy in Europe and the Mobilization of Society (FP6) (http://cosmos.sns.it/projects/demos-democracy-in-europe-and-the-mobiliza...)
- Younex - Youth, unemployment, and exclusion in Europe (FP7) (http://www.younex.unige.ch)
- Subterranean Politics in Europe (LSE) (http://www.gcsknowledgebase.org/europe)
- Comparing Social Media and Political Participation across the EU (http://webpoleu.altervista.org)
- Varieties of Democracy (national expert) (https://www.v-dem.net)
RESEARCH INTERESTS AND Phd SUPERVISION
Lorenzo is open to supervising students in areas related to:
- Political Communication
- Digital Politics
- Political participation
- Social movements
- Huda Alsahi
- Alexandra Ana
- Sebastianus Bruinsma
- Aliaksandr Ruzhantsou