Manuela Caiani is Associate Professor at the Institute of Scienze Umane e Sociali at the Scuola Normale Superiore (SNS) of Florence. In April 2017 she got the ‘Italian Abilitazione’ for Full professor in Political Science and Political Sociology. Her research interests focus on: Europeanization and social movements, right wing extremism and populism in Europe and the USA, political mobilization and the Internet, qualitative methods of social research, political violence and terrorism. She has been involved in several international comparative research projects (FP4, FP5, FP7) and coordinated research units for individual projects and grants (PRIN Project 2016-2019; Marie Curie 2011-13, FP7-PEOPLE-2009-IEF, n° 252957; Research Grant Jubilaumsfonds, ONB, Oesterreichische National Bank, 2010-2012, project n. 14035; Post-Doctoral TRA Fellowship, START Center, 2009, University of Maryland; Funding Award, CNR-Italian Research Council, 2005). She published in, among others, the following journals: Mobilization, Acta Politica, European Union Politics, South European Society and Politics, RISP and for the following publishers: Oxford University press, Ashgate, Palgrave.
5 most recent publications:
- With S. Guerra, (2017) Euroscepticism, democracy and the media: Communicating Europe, Contesting Europe, Palgrave.
- With P. R. Graziano, (2016), Varieties of Populism: Insights from the Italian Case, in Italian Political Science Review, 46 (2),1-25.
- With L. Parenti (2013), European and American Extreme Right Groups and the Internet, Ashgate.
- With D. della Porta and C. Wagemann (2012), Mobilizing on the Extreme Right, Oxford, Oxford University Press.
- With D. della Porta (2009), Social Movements and Europeanisation, Oxford, Oxford University Press.
5 Relevant previous projects and activities:
- 2016-2019, PRIN (Italian Research Ministry Funds) Project on “Politics e Policy in Europa in tempo di crisi: Cause e Conseguenze”, Head of the Unity- SNS.
- June 2016 - Jun 2018 SNS Research Grant, received from the Scuola Normale Superiore, PI for the project “Right-Wing Political Radicalization Using the Internet in Eastern and Central Europe”, Italy.
- 2010 - 2012 Research Grant Jubilaumsfonds, Oesterreichische National Bank, PI for the project “The Dark Side of the Web European and American Extreme Right Groups and online Politics” (project n. 14035), IHS, Wien.
- 2006 - 2007 CONNEX Network -Connecting Excellence on European Governance. Research group on “Civil Society, Social Capital and Multilevel Governance in Europe”, directed by J. Van Deth and W. Maloney, EC (FP IV).
- 2002 - 2005 EU-funded project Europub.Com on the “Europeanisation of the Public Sphere”, directed by R. Koopmans (FP V).
RESEARCH INTERESTS AND Phd SUPERVISION
Caiani is open to supervising students in areas related to:
- Left wing and Right Wing Populism
- Radical Right political parties and Movements
- Social Movements, Europeanization and European Protest Campaings
- Collective mobilization and social networks
- Methods: formalized content analysis, frame analysis, interviews, social network analysis
- Enrico Padoan (project on Populism in Southern Europe and Latin America)
- Elias Steinhilper (project on transnational networking on migration)
- Ivan Stefanovsky (project on the outcomes of social movements in South/East Europe)
- Raffaele Barzuli (project on the Influence of social movements on migration policies)