Martín Portos G. is Research Fellow at COSMOS, Scuola Normale Superiore, Florence. He completed a PhD in Political and Social Sciences from the European University Institute in February 2017, with a thesis focused on anti-austerity mobilisation in Southern Europe. He holds a BA (Hons) in Political Science from the University of Santiago de Compostela (National Award for Excellence in Academic Performance, 2011), a MSc Politics Research from Oxford University, and a MRes in Political and Social Sciences from the EUI. He has been awarded fellowships from Fundación Caja Madrid, Obra Social La Caixa, Linares Rivas–Oxford University, EUI-MECD, Banc Sabadell and the Centro de Investigaciones Sociológicas, among others. His publications have featured in various peer-reviewed international journals, and has collaborated with various research projects. He is the author of the book manuscript Social Movements and referendums from below. Direct democracy in the neoliberal crisis (co-authored with D. della Porta et al.; forthcoming with Policy Press in 2017).
5 Most recent publications
- della Porta, D., O’Connor, F., Portos, M., Subirats, A. 2017. Social movements and referendums from below. Direct democracy in the neoliberal crisis (Policy Press/ Bristol University Press https://policypress.co.uk/social-movements-and-referendums-from-below).
- Portos, M. and J. Masullo. 2017. ‘Voicing outrage unevenly. Democratic dissatisfaction, non-participation and frequencies of participation in the 15-M protest campaign’ (in press; Mobilization).
- Álvarez-Pereira, B., Portos, M. and Vourdas, J. 2017. ‘Waving goodbye? The determinants of autonomism and secessionism in Western Europe’, Regional Studies. DOI: 10.1080/00343404.2017.1282609.
- Portos, M. 2016. ‘Taking to the streets in the context of austerity: a chronology of the cycle of protests in Spain’, Partecipazione & Conflitto 9 (1): 181-210.
- Portos, M. 2016. ‘Movilización social en tiempos de recesión: un Análisis de Eventos de Protesta en España, 2007-2015’, Revista Española de Ciencia Política, 41: 159-178.
Relevant previous projects:
- Researcher in the project LIVEWHAT. Living with hard Times. Citizens’ Resilience in Times of Crisis, EU 7th Framework Programme, Grant Agreement N° 613237. PI: Marco Giugni (University of Geneva). Team Leader: Lorenzo Bosi (SNS).
- Researcher in the project Mobilizing for Democracy: Democratization processes and the mobilization of civil society. D. della Porta’s ERC Advanced Grant, EUI & SNS. Grant 269136.
- Social movements
- Anti-austerity mobilization
- Political attitudes