Pietro Castelli Gattinara is postdoctoral research fellow in political science and sociology at the Centre on Social Movement Studies (COSMOS), Scuola Normale Superiore, Florence. His research interests lie, especially, in the study of far right politics, social movements, and migration in Europe. He is currently involved in a comparative research project on the refugee crisis in Europe, focusing on far right mobilization in Italy and France. After obtaining his PhD at the European University Institute, with a dissertation on party competition on migration, he joined the department of Politics of the University of Leicester, where he worked on governmental responsiveness and on the political participation of migrants. In the previous years, in 2013 and 2014 he was teaching fellow of comparative and European politics at the Institut d’Etudes Politiques, Sciences-Po Paris and at the Euro-American Campus of Sciences-Po in Reims. From 2015, he has been teaching minority and identity politics in Europe at Monash University, Prato. He is a member of the ECPR standing group on Extremism and Democracy. He is the author of ‘The Politics of Migration in Italy: Perspectives on Local Debates and Party Competition’ (Routledge, 2016) and co-author of ‘Fascisti di un Altro Millennio: Crisi e Partecipazione in CasaPound Italia’ (Bonanno, 2015). His work on the far right and migration politics appeared in various international peer-reviewed journals and edited volumes.
5 Most recent publications:
- Castelli Gattinara, P. and Morales, L. (2017) “The politicization and securitization of migration in Europe: Public opinion, political parties and the immigration issue”, in P. Bourbeau (ed), Handbook on Migration and Security, Edward Elgar Publishing, pp. 273-295.
- Castelli Gattinara, P. and Froio, C. (2017) “Italy: Political Data Yearbook”, European Journal of Political Research - Political Data Yearbook, 56, 2017.
- Castelli Gattinara, P. and Froio, C. (2017) “Comunicazione del terzo millennio? La politica mediatizzata di CasaPound Italia”, Comunicazione Politica, 1/2017, 55-76
- Castelli Gattinara, P. (2016). The Politics of Migration in Italy: perspectives on local and party competition. Abingdon and New York: Routledge.
- Castelli Gattinara, P. and Froio, C. (2016) “Direct social actions and far right mobilization: the relationship between ideas and action in the extreme right”, Participazione e Conflitto/PACO, 9(3) 2016, 1040-1066.
Relevant previous projects:
Project I have collaborated with in previous years:
- Collective Action and the Refugee Crisis (M4D - SNS)
- The Charlie Hebdo Debate: Critical Junctures and Deliberation in the Public Sphere (M4D - SNS)
- Far-Right Mobilization in Times of Crisis (FRMTC - EUI)
Far-right politics; Migration politics; Party Politics; Social Movements; Mixed Methods Research.